07/16/09 Sunrise over Pilgrim Lake
Pilgrim Lake used to be called East Harbor, back when it was connected to Cape Cod Bay by a 1,000-foot inlet. But a dike built in 1868 to clear a path for a railroad, where Route 6 now lies, sealed the harbor from the sea. Gradually, the salt marsh's waters turned fresh. Over the years plant species crowd out native vegetation, stifling marine life
In the later 1990s , one of the largest New England coastal wetlands restoration projects began to try and save the lake. Today, the lake is a burgeoning field of mollusks -- mussels, clams, and quahogs in addition to many migrating birds.
cape codpilgrim lake